5A- Identifying Local Opportunities
The Alligator
A large earthquake hit Cuba and Jamaica. Thankfully there were no casualties, but there was some small damage. The main thing lost was resources due to the evacuations made as a precaution. This loss is felt mainly in the government but also in local businesses that lost time and money to the panic about the quakes.
UF Health monitors rumors of coronavirus spreading to Gainesville
UF Health has been monitoring whether or not the coronavirus has spread to Gainesville. This could end up effecting UF students as well as all of Gainesville. This could also put a strain on hospitals and doctors due to those who have the virus and those concerned that they do.
Future of Gainesville Lucky’s Market remains unclear
Gainesville's Lucky's Market previously announced that it would be closing in early February. But recent news has said there might be a new fate for the store. The news has not been confirmed yet though leading to confusion about its status. This will affect Gainesville citizens who patronize this store.
GPD continues use of the highly-criticized facial recognition program
The Gainesville Police Department has decided to continue using facial recognition, a program that is highly-criticized. This choice will end up affecting all Gainesville citizens who are now having their likeness used by GPD without their permission.
Lake Wahlburg recently suffered damages thanks to high winds. The sailing club took the brunt of these damages and had to fundraise for new equipment. This has left their boats unusable for the semester which is keeping them from competeing this semester.
Hi Riley, The first article you mentioned made me aware of how strong this earthquake really was. A 7.7. As a student from Miami, I saw over the news that in Downtown Miami the buildings were shaking as an effect of such a large quake and led to evacuations. It’s shocking that in a location that isn’t known to have earthquakes was affected by this.
ReplyDeleteHi Riley,
ReplyDeleteI was sad when I found out the Lucky’s store in Gainesville was closing as I’ve shopped there all four years of college. I recently went to the store this week to take advantage of their closing sales and visit the store one last time. I overheard a lot of the employees talking about how they now have to look for new jobs. I am unsure exactly why the store is closing but I know many people are sad to see it go.
Hi Riley,
ReplyDeleteI also wrote about the Lucky's Market closing . My fiance went there every week for her groceries and I was a big fan of grabbing a beer while I shopped. It's sad to see this happen to the entire franchise when I personally believe that this local market has done quite well. It definitely comes at the cost of many loyal patrons.